Follow @NordicGamesAT Follow
Close

Regarding polish language in Elex

TL;DR: Dubbing is great, while translation is awful. Like one of the worst I ever met.

First of all, yes, this is exactly where I wanted to make a thread. It was already heavily discussed on polish board, and I think more people, especially developers and publisher, should now about this: polish translation for Elex is bad. Not a little bad, but very, very bad. Literally awful.

Don't read me wrong, we are really pleased THQ Nordic and Piranha Bytes found money to fund polish dubbing in Elex. Dubbing itself is great, it is really close to legendary dubbing we had in Gothic 1 and Gothic 2. Voice actors did the best they could, sadly they had to work on... really bad translated things.

Because none of you (probably) know Polish language, i will try to explain the problems in details, while operating on few examples. Lets start with description of Dexterity, one of the attributes. In English it says "increase ranged damage", while in Polish it say: "zwiększa zasięg zadawanych obrażeń", which means it increase the range of dealing damage. These two are completely different things. It is not like increasing Dexterity will allow us to shoot or hit further...

Other good example is "I'm in" that Jax is saying after he successfully hack a safe. "I'm in" in english have two different meaning:
    • "I'm in" = "count me in"/"include me"
    • "I'm in" = a word that hackers use whenever they successfully hack something and they have access to something hidden behind security systems

Guess which meaning translators chose

Whenever Jax hack a safe, in Polish he say "wchodzę w to", which means both "count me in"/"include me" and "I will go into that". Since no one make him an offer, it seems like whenever he open an small safe he want to go into it, which is ridiculous. And stupid.

And there is more, much more. "Dried meat" translated to "Suche mięso" which means "Dry meat". Small, but unfitting. Dialogues that make completely no sense for me in Polish, my primary language, were completely understandable in English. Most polish critic reviews I read was criticizing Elex for dialogues making no sense. After playing for 6 hours i had to switch to English, and in English game is much, much better. I've even managed to convinced few friends of mine to switch to English language and suddenly they changed their mind about Elex.

I was criticizing Risen series for having bad translation, because most of the jokes and puns were translated word by word so they lost their charm, but this is completely new level of bad translation. This is probably the worst professional translation I ever saw, same quality as fanmade tranlations that people were selling on the market in the previous millennium. But with dubbing with great voice actors.

But maybe translators weren't bad, maybe the way the game was translated. Did translators knew the context of the sentence they were translating? Did they knew the whole dialog, or did they translate sentence one by one, taken out of context?

Conclusion
    • Bad translation in RPG = people like game less!
    • It seems that translators had no experience in translating games (dried meat, dexterity)
    • It seems that translators had completely no idea what they are translating. Did they knew when and why "I'm in" will be used?
    • Dialogues make no sense... probably because translators were translating every sentence one by one, without knowing the whole context and whole dialog
    • When translation is bad even the best voice actors can't make great dubbing...

What to do now?

I think both Piranha Bytes and THQ Nordic should discuss it. I guess completely new translation + new dubbing is not an option, but there is always something we can do. Until now I was finding THQ Nordic as one of the best (if not the best) publisher ever, so I hope they will continue doing that. Elex is great game, it even have a chance to beat first Gothic in my eyes (which is my favorite action RPG for years, but i didn't completed Elex yet so i don't want to judge). Maybe it is a little to late, but if bugs can be patched after premiere, maybe translation can be patched too?

Your options are:
    1. Make completely new translation to replace this one. Probably too expensive, unless You can make a complaint to the translator (to cut the cost) or THQ Nordic really want to be the best publisher of all time.
    2. Make a new translation, but without new dubbing. As a new language to chose, polish corrected text + english dubbing?
    3. Allow fans to correct this mistake. This is cheap, but still great option. Piranha Bytes games always had fanmade patches, why not fanmade translation? Just give us a way to do it, and we will do it. We have some free translations groups in Poland, maybe they will be cooperative? The hell, i will gladly do it myself, even if i would do it for a year. Just make sure that after translation will be complete, it will be available as a patch, or as a additional language to chose.

Of course, most importantly... MAKE SURE THIS WON"T HAPPEN AGAIN. No matter if the next child from Piranha Bytes and THQ Nordic will be extension for Elex (elextension? ) or Elex 2, please make sure this time translation will be great.

German being the base language, all other translations were built on top of the English translation.
    And maybe it all happened, because not even the English translation is right (there is some example here, where the dialogue is completely different from the original).

Off-topic: I've studied Polish to play Gothic: Edycja Rozszerzona : ).

I am almost sure that PB said in one of the interviews, that German and English are made both by PB, almost separately, to make sure everything will be done right. But yes, Polish version is based on English, but I've played more than 60 hours in English and game is much much better, than in Polish, it seems English translation is actually pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by blizeo View Post
    Off-topic: I've studied Polish to play Gothic: Edycja Rozszerzona : ).
    Glad to hear that. Did you heard about another polish mod, Dzieje Khoronis? It will have professional polish dubbing
    Last edited by xenonisbad; 13-11-2017 at 21:16.

Quote Originally Posted by xenonisbad View Post
    I am almost sure that PB said in one of the interviews, that German and English are made both by PB,
    Nope. We do German only, simply because all of us have German as mother tongue.
    English has always been done externally.

Difference to Polish obviously is that we are all able to read English and notice problems there. Not so with Polish - or any other language for that matter. All other languages go into the game as we receive them, no chance to double check anything there like for English.
    And yes, Polish and all other languages are based on English. Probably because its easier to find translators from EN->anything than from DE->anything.

Quote Originally Posted by xenonisbad View Post
    Glad to hear that. Did you heard about another polish mod, Dzieje Khoronis? It will have professional polish dubbing
    Yes, I've heard of it. Although I have a very weird feeling, that those old men are used to do the dubbing, as if it was their last thing in life. Absolutely weird, if it's free : ).