Follow @NordicGamesAT Follow
Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Similar Games

Actually you can trigger third person and there are swords so half of your requisites are satisfied
    Beliar knows no mercy. There's no piety for the weaks.

Oh my bad, now I got the point
    fps= first person shooter and I told all the 2 things with commas My bad
    Last edited by Innos; 12-07-2015 at 12:08.

Some things makes me wonder, like you post all parts in your list, but you omit best part out of TES series (3 aka Morrowind)[of course best IMO] and everything after first Risen, which is kind of strange to say the least
    Anyway, here is what I'd consider as a game that falls into the "Gothic niche":
    • Arx Fatalis
    • Gothic (1,2,3,4?partially) [+addons]
    • Risen (1,2,3)
    • TES (2?partially,3,4,5) [+addons]
    • Two Worlds (I, II)

Yes you can surely go down the line with Rune up to something more hack'n'slashy less RPG like Dark Souls or Darksiders and pop up with MMORPGs like Wizardry but in the end I'd say they're quite on a bit different niche (then again IMO).

P.S. Knowing that you like magic, and most likely haven't played Arx Fatalis (considering your list) - you most likely gonna like it just for the sole reason of how you cast
    Last edited by KAMIKADzE; 12-07-2015 at 17:32. Reason: P.S.

There is nothing wrong with your eyes, they just abide the rules, I mean FAQ

The casting system in Arx Fatalis infuriated me, actually. It was so precise and I couldn't keep my gestures straight.

Quote Originally Posted by KAMIKADzE View Post
    Some things makes me wonder, like you post all parts in your list, but you omit best part out of TES series (3 aka Morrowind)[of course best IMO] and everything after first Risen, which is kind of strange to say the least
    Anyway, here is what I'd consider as a game that falls into the "Gothic niche":
    • Arx Fatalis
    • Gothic (1,2,3,4?partially) [+addons]
    • Risen (1,2,3)
    • TES (2?partially,3,4,5) [+addons]
    • Two Worlds (I, II)

Yes you can surely go down the line with Rune up to something more hack'n'slashy less RPG like Dark Souls or Darksiders and pop up with MMORPGs like Wizardry but in the end I'd say they're quite on a bit different niche (then again IMO).

P.S. Knowing that you like magic, and most likely haven't played Arx Fatalis (considering your list) - you most likely gonna like it just for the sole reason of how you cast
    You're right, I just didn't add it because I didn't play Morrowing in the past so I can't say any opinion upon the game. Everyone that love TES series confirm that Morrowind is one of the best, but when I learned about TES, Morrowind was just too old for me to play
    I had seen in the past Arx Fatalis, but I didn't play it, because from youtube I saw it's a first person rpg and I'm dying for third person rpg's
    Oh and another mediocre(imo) rpg is the one that got released "recently", the "Thief".

No game should ever be regarded as "too old" to play. They can be equally relevant today. And games like Morrowind have mods to upgrade the visuals, if that's what is holding you back. But otherwise, Morrowind had a fantastic and unique world and a lot to do. I would recommend that above any of the following games from Bethesda.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgannin View Post
    The casting system in Arx Fatalis infuriated me, actually. It was so precise and I couldn't keep my gestures straight.
    Haha, yeah you'd need some time to master it before you can quickly cast it especially in the middle of fight
    Quote Originally Posted by Innos View Post
    You're right, I just didn't add it because I didn't play Morrowing in the past so I can't say any opinion upon the game. Everyone that love TES series confirm that Morrowind is one of the best, but when I learned about TES, Morrowind was just too old for me to play
    I had seen in the past Arx Fatalis, but I didn't play it, because from youtube I saw it's a first person rpg and I'm dying for third person rpg's
    Oh and another mediocre(imo) rpg is the one that got released "recently", the "Thief".
    Uhmm I haven't played new Thief, but considering the series I'd expect it to be more stealthy action than an RPG, seems like your term of RPG is quite broad one.
    No game should ever be regarded as "too old" to play. They can be equally relevant today. And games like Morrowind have mods to upgrade the visuals, if that's what is holding you back. But otherwise, Morrowind had a fantastic and unique world and a lot to do. I would recommend that above any of the following games from Bethesda.
    Sure, but even I wouldn't play something like DOOM or TES 1,2 this days, though pacman is still viable for me people just tend to have the different limit in terms of visual representation and the playstyle. I know that there are still few people that prefer text-only RPGs, but lets be hones, they are quite in minor. But Morrowind is surely quite descent even for todays standards.

Has fallout to do with any of these?

Addition: And let me add that I never said similar games to ELEX (as we don't know how it will be from now), but to gothic and whole atmosphere of the third person RPG.
    Ah yeah, though designed as a First Person RPG, it does have a pretty decent 3rd person view as well, that's the way I played it. It also has swords (like the Shishkebab ) and fist fighting if you prefer. And with the fifties as a start for their post-apocalyptic world, the atmosphere in the game is much closer to Gothic 1 than Arcania was.
    Hence me opting to swap the two. But it is still just an opinion.
    No game should ever be regarded as "too old" to play. They can be equally relevant today. And games like Morrowind have mods to upgrade the visuals, if that's what is holding you back.
    I dunno, back then Wolfenstein and Doom looked pretty awesome, but nowadays I get nauseous with those abominable 'graphics'.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless2
    Ah yeah, though designed as a First Person RPG, it does have a pretty decent 3rd person view as well, that's the way I played it. It also has swords (like the Shishkebab ) and fist fighting if you prefer. And with the fifties as a start for their post-apocalyptic world, the atmosphere in the game is much closer to Gothic 1 than Arcania was.
    Hence me opting to swap the two. But it is still just an opinion.
    If that's the case, I should really give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamekadze
    Uhmm I haven't played new Thief, but considering the series I'd expect it to be more stealthy action than an RPG, seems like your term of RPG is quite broad one.
    I wouldn't say it's a broad one, but I would say that I play "2nd class" rpg's or close to it when I'm out of options. Hence, I recommend them here too as you may give it a go as we all love more or less the same gameplay style

Oh and another one that I remembered just now, the unforgetable Vampire: The masquerade Bloodlines!
    I updated the list, so all of the games we said are easy to find
    Last edited by Innos; 13-07-2015 at 08:20.

Oh and another one that I remembered just now, the unforgetable Vampire: The masquerade Bloodlines!
    I updated the list, so all of the games we said are easy to find
    I have no idea how could you come up with Vampires as a "similar to Gothic", it's definitely a great game and I would even say that unique in some way, but huh this thread becomes more like "Games I like" than "similar to Gothic" And when I saw Neverwinter in your updated list, well that is D&D style, and by that I mean that you could add a whole lot of games that are "like Neverwinter" to the list as well, and then you could add...

Not really, the gameplay is almost the same (third person, magic, swords, crossbows,etc.). The atmosphere is just completely different.
    Also I told you above that when I'm out of options I try other games that are similar to the gameplay of gothic, so that's why I put Vampire on the list. Many who play Gothic may enjoy this game too, so why not

The Thief series is a bit like Gothic (despite the steampunk stuff). And maybe Dishonored?

Recently I found a similar game to Vampire Bloodlines, which will be released sometime in 2017. Seems a promising RPG!

ok it is very stable

ok it is a very fine gothic great thing

FallOut 3 is the best apocalyptic RPG ever made. it's dark and gritty theme was so perfect, their will never be another like it, Fall Out 4 was too bright and didn't have the same dreadful feeling as FallOut 3. That being said you forgot about the Elder Scrolls Skyrim.